Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Where in the web do you receive the daily heralding of current events?

Where do I go on the Web for news? to be honest I don't go to traditional media except for citations and fact checking. Besides Imgur, I spend a lot of my time on YouTube, watching "Let's Play's", Top 10 lists, and the occasional, music playlist (for music that is literally impossible to purchase). when I want to be informed, the main few channels I go to are Source-fed, The Know, Source-fed Nerd, and the Philip Defranco Show. Source-fed, Source-fed Nerd, and the Philip Defranco Show (PDS are actually all under the PDS as the star of this one man show had created a company and those two channels. The first of these channels is the Know:
(couldn't find funny Gif, I've failed!)
This channel is mainly for video game related news, that being a hobby of mine, I like to stay informed on the latest news in the industry. The thing i like about them (a trend for all of my news ventures), is that they are very explicit with their sources, conclusions, and analyzations of the news they present. they make it very clear when something is on opinion or not to be taken as fact.


Moving onto my more watched channels are: Source-fed and it's sister Nerd channel. The regular channel focuses on news stories exclusively, while the Nerd channel focuses on all forms of entertainment exclusively. what i like most about these channels is that they are forward with their opinions, and that they always ask for comments from their viewership. The level of communication is closer than with traditional television. There is a screen of professionalism that just loses me with traditional media. Source-fed isn't afraid to make jokes or be brutally honest, plus they make a good point of making their sources (is that a pun?) available to the public. when they mess up or laugh during a skit it isn't edited out, which makes them seem more relatable at least to me. The hosts casual nature and honesty gives the impression of just a conversation with a friend who wanted to share with you information.


( there are more than three hosts, I believe there are currently six)

Moving to the channel I view the most, and get my news from daily: The Philip Defranco Show. This show, while retaining it's "one man" format, has grown a lot since it's started. The you-tuber (Defranco), started his own channel and has since made Source-Fed a company with many branching channels and employees. The thing I love about this channel is the complete honesty and openness he has with his news.



The format of his show is him talking about the things he found interesting today, "Today in Awesome", occasionally he has a segment on his "D-bag of the day", and then he talks about "Newsy type stuff and things" where he shares what he has for the news and his take from it. As i have sad before, he is transparent in his opinions and makes it known that what he does is something he enjoys and could also make a living from. he is simply a guy with a camera that reports his internet findings on the news and cool things he has seen.

Generally the reason I watch these channels, is because the traditional news is so filled with bias and misinformation passing itself for fact, that I would rather be told when someone is being biased, that way it is easier to not believe an opinion for fact. Philip is also a wealth of knowledge, giving life advice in a large amounts of his videos that are useful and give light to his personal moral compass and what he believes in. For me it is more enjoyable to see other people doing what they love and loving what they do, than being told how horrible something is or why I should agree with something, these channels leave me to my own conclusions and give me tools to make my own personal opinion based on personal research.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Matthew,
    This blog post was interesting and entertaining. I don't think I've ever heard of any of these places for news, but after reading your blog, I might check it out. I agree with watching traditional news, I'm not a fan of it either. Great Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You say there is a "screen of professionalism" with traditional news media. I wonder--what do you mean by that? Like Deyzaney, I haven't heard of a lot of these websites/sources, but I will give them a shot, hoping they move beyond the "things and stuff"--you know me!
    By the way, I'm a big fan of the Big Lebowski--great .gif.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what I mean by that is that not needing to be 100% professional adds a sense of honesty. These You Tuber's and blog writers aren't trying to convey a certain archetype to the viewer. They are just saying what they know and where they got it, as well as their opinion on it. I notice more traditional news media might not be explicit with their opinions because they have to give a perception of authority. Because of this I find that the opinion can leak into the fact and some people don't differentiate. A good example would be the popular perception that Fox News is very opinionated, at least that is what I find to be the perception.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post. I agree that not "owing" an editorial board any allegiance can keep content more honest, but this freedom from any editorial control (at least discussion) can also lead to significant bias. Much depends on the credentials and historical accuracy of the author's other posts, right?

    ReplyDelete