Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Where I go for news.

It is hard for me to admit that I don't actively seek out the news. I don't have a bookmarked page or an application on my home page dedicated to a news site. When I stumble upon some new development in the world, it is usually on my Tumblr dash, accompanies a rant on Facebook, or is suggested on Buzzfeed. I also rarely sit down and watch the news on television.

I don't know if it says something about my maturity that I might actually be avoiding the news. There is merit in knowing what is happening to the world around you. Some of the bigger events can directly affect you or the people around you. It also goes without saying that knowledge is power. Yet, it feels like every time I happen upon a news article or walk by the t.v. it is just tragedy after tragedy.

That being said! If I had to pick the site that I happen upon the most news, it would have to be Buzzfeed. Along with their frivolous articles and ridiculous quizzes, Buzzfeed also reports on events in the news, though they tend to be a bit more biased. In the article by Kendall Taggart and Alex Campbell, the writing is very narrative and descriptive. The tone they use is angry and indignant. This is probably why I enjoy reading their news articles (it might also be because of the bright pictures and large text). Often times, news articles are written in an expository style, straight to the point and mostly facts. I am an emotional person, and thus I feel more validated when I read something that shares my opinions already (a dangerous idea, since one should know all sides of an argument before sharing their opinions).

4 comments:

  1. I have to agree with you that most of the news is about some horrific tragedy, which has soured me on paying to much attention to the news. From time to time there is some information that is posted or reported that grabs my attention and I will research that information to get a better understanding for my person. We can't bury our heads in the sand and pretend as though all of this tragedy doesn't exist, but we don't have to plug in and pay attention to all of it. But, we have to be aware and involve to some degree with how our society is and will be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if your news avoidance is about maturity. It might be that you are avoiding bad news because it is often attached to personal anxiety? I think people watch the news or read the news to be informed, and news stations can sensationalize bad news and use it over-much, while suppressing good news. This sells. Maybe I'm cynical?
    When you highlight Buzzfeed, can you share one article, for example, that stands out to you? And I think you're right when you say that we feel validated when our news items we read share our opinion. Isn't that a big part of social media participation?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the questions you raised in this blog. Emotional attachment and avoidance of the problem are definite issues that go along with the news circle. I admire the point you made about the dangers of being selective about surfing one-side biased news sites. Finding a site that reviews facts first is vital to the survival of honest opinions being formed by outsiders/online viewers. There is danger to only soaking up what very opinionated people, who have spent a long time forming their standpoints on all the controversial issues, have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy reading your post. I would say that it's not just you I feel like a lot of kids around our age don't find interest in the news much but however we follow gossip type of new. I actually never heard of Buzzfeed so I learned something new. However I actually enjoy the news it's good to know what's going on in our world

    ReplyDelete