Wednesday, October 28, 2015

So what the heck is this Parkour thing anyway?


You guys have probably heard the comedic yells of those jumping on chairs and yelling "Parkour!" with an ironic lack of skill. While we know this ^ isn't Parkour, the question remains, what is it?
well to do that we have to go back in time to around World War I with the invention of the military obstacle course


Alright, so the military obstacle course was invented by a man named Georges Herbert. During the first World War, Georges was inspired by indigenous tribes in Africa to adopt their athleticism and skill, noting their lack of training except for their interaction with nature.  Returning to France, he began to teach physical education in "Methode naturalle" which used body weight and natural movements to train the body; climbing, walking, running, balancing, quadrupedal movement, etc...
This was then implemented into French military training, becoming the standard. a Swiss architect then invented a military obstacle course called the "parcours du combattant" these have since become standard in military training across the world.

Years later, in 1939, Raymond Belle was born in Vietnam. During the First Indochina War he lost both of his parents and was sent to a military orphanage at the age of 7. During that time he began to train the Parcours du combattant, vowing to never be a victim again. He would train longer and harder than those around him, constantly trying to improve himself and become better to combat the horrific experiences he had as a child.  at the age of 19 he joined the Paris Fire Brigade. His son, David Belle, would go on to learn of his fathers training in "Parcours" and be inspired by his fathers exploits as a fireman to help herald the Parkour we know today. So I bet you would like to finally know what the heck this stuff is? That is, of course, if you are still awake after reading this.



Now for the fun stuff!

 While there are a certain number of moves one can learn as a baseline, these aren't set in stone. One of the beliefs for parkour is to constantly improve. Like Raymond Belle and his son, pushing your boundaries and capabilities is paramount. With that comes the responsibility to understand your limits, know that maybe you won't make that gap, or that your vaulting skills need some work; you cannot run if you haven't crawled first. Because of this, starting Parkour can seem a daunting task, though with the right mindset and some time on your hands, anyone can do it. yes you do need to be physically fit but that is actually a result instead of a prerequisite.
I have been practicing parkour for about 8 years, and I absolutely love it. I've done many sports in my life and neither was I proficient, nor interested. What got me itching to climb and explore was thegame called Mirrors Edge.

 This was a First person video game that simulated Parkour, and it was the reason I wanted to initially start it. Since then, I've learned that I enjoy it because it gives me freedom. no longer do am I contained by the sidewalk or restrained by what I think I cannot do, because If I can climb buildings and do impossible things, then I can certainly talk to that girl, or nail that job interview. The possibilities are endless.


via GIPHY
(This one is actually of me)

There a couple resources for those who would like to get started in Parkour, there are a number of Gyms that specialize in teaching and training (if classic DIY isn't your forte). What to wear is pretty simple:




#Stairsareforquitters2015

Comfortable sweatpants and a t-shirt are all that is needed (I personally don't recommend gloves)
Shoes are the most important, as running shoes are a big no go. single tread shoes are the best, brands like Feiyue, Kswiss, or Ollo have shoes that are widely used for Parkour. A durable, comfortable shoe is important. Whatever shoe that you feel comfortable and confident in your abilities in, wear it. Though that is a whole other article that can be discussed, Here are some helpful links instead. Enjoy!

Best place to start
http://americanparkour.com/


Parkour gym in Fredricksburg
http://www.polar-fit.com/

Parkour gym in Manassas (they have places in Maryland and Alexandria as well)
http://urbanevo.com/

The original Parkour gym for the U.S, located in D.C. (This is where I learned and is home to the Tribe team, one of the first american Parkour teams)
They are also the eastern hub of  the American Parkour Association (APK)
http://www.primal-fitness.com/

3 comments:

  1. Not sure of the Gif's are working or not. They don't seem to be on my end. Please let me know if they are working!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Matthew,
    I could see all the .gifs--this is fascinating, and I had no idea that you did this. That .gif of you--it only seems to show the start of the action (or the end of the action?). I see your hands on the side of a building; it looks like you're in Old Town Alexandria or Fredericksburg?
    You mention here that you got into this a few years ago through a video game. Would you say that it was because of the Internet that you found this sport?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would definitely say that the internet influenced my decision to start parkour, since then I've found it very freeing. Being able to just go where I please (laws permitting) puts things in a different perspective. it requires a lot of creativity as well to find and see places to go and turn a regular park bench into something I can string moves on and find new ways of using it. I was in Fredericksburg, too bad the .gif isn't working!

    ReplyDelete