Wednesday, September 23, 2015

My Travels Down the Internet Highway

    Hello everyone, I’m Ray and I would like to give you a look into my normal (boring?) routine when it comes to “surfing the net.” I never gave much thought on where I visited when connecting to the internet, as I usually browse online through my iPad and only get on a computer when school is involved or I am doing something involving music, pictures, or printing.

    When I do wander across the internet, my most frequently visited places, besides NOVA, involve sports, banking, and Google. I am a huge sports fan (Go Ducks, Go Hawks!), and am constantly visiting ESPN to find out what the latest news is regarding my teams. Since football season graced us with its presence, I am also involved in fantasy football and visit the NFL, ESPN, and Yahoo fantasy football sites to keep me informed that I am getting my butt kicked this year.

    After retiring from the U. S. Marine Corps last year, I realized that I had been neglecting many aspects of my personal life for the last twenty-plus years and now frequent my financial institutions and government websites that are "supposed" to assist in transitioning into the civilian world, such as VA.gov (Veteran Affairs) and ebenefits.gov. This hasn’t been the easiest process, so unfortunately I visit these sites more often than I would like.

    I also visit Google. This is my catch-all website and I find that the information readily available by just imputing a few words in the search engine gives me plenty of material to start my “descent down the rabbit hole.” Now that I think of it, I have apps for most of these sites and that’s usually how I access them.

    And that is what my normal web traversing routine looks like, I hope it didn’t put you all to sleep. 

                                                                
Until next time, have a good day.

4 comments:

  1. Great post, Ray! I'm with you--I balance my web time between sports (I'm proud to say I'm my family's fantasy league commissioner--but I have done horribly these two weeks. This is the week for me, though, right?). And I also obsess over finances online--from banking to investing. The new apps like Personal Capital or Mint really make tracking budgeting and investing really engrossing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say that I can understand your frustration when it comes to dealing with the VA. I am a dependent of a "retired" service member and sorting out my benefits every semester is a nightmare. But congratulations on retirement and thank you for your service!

    ReplyDelete