Thursday, November 12, 2015

Where I Dare Not Go on the Web.

I have to start off by saying I had a really hard time brainstorming on places I dare not go on the web. I had to ask my mom what her opinion was and she actually sparked a light, you could say, about some things I just would not trust on the web.

For starters, fake email links. I never trust them! Those email links that say, "You have won $1,000 dollars!!!! Just click on this link and it's all yours!" That is just utter ridiculousness. Talk about serious viruses. No thank you!
Also, I don't know if any of you guys have done this but when you apply for jobs through Craigslist or sketchy sites, a lot of them tend to be fake ones to high jack your money. Here's an example of an email I'd received:


My next place isn't a place at all. It's a habit I would hate to pick up... searching for medical advice on the web. Not Smart! There are so many things that could go wrong with you doing research by yourself. A lot of medical issues have the same symptoms so you can diagnose yourself and freak yourself out for no good reason! You could have symptoms like, fever and fatigue. The internet shows this as symptoms for Ebola! However, it's most likely just your common cold.

6 comments:

  1. I agree with you that we shouldn't open email that we don't know who's from and what's about. Whenever I receive those kind of emails, I delete those immediately without hesitated. I hope that somebody might do the same, otherwise, good luck to your laptop and personal information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to agree with. I used always ask my wife did she think the was real. Even though I knew wasn't a part of wish they were, lol. I would be lying if I sad I don't search the web for medical advise. I guess I look for symptoms more then advise. But I don't take there word as golden, just a place to start if I'm feeling a little down and not sure what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always follow the golden rule: unless you personally know the person, don't open any email attachments. I ended up with a serious virus because I once opened an email sent by a fake college and followed the attached website. I had to reset everything on my laptop. Luckily they were able to access my accounts because I didn't really have any at the time. I totally agree about looking for medical advice on the web. It's so rare to find any site with the same information as each other. I've gone from tick bites to meningitis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always follow the golden rule: unless you personally know the person, don't open any email attachments. I ended up with a serious virus because I once opened an email sent by a fake college and followed the attached website. I had to reset everything on my laptop. Luckily they were able to access my accounts because I didn't really have any at the time. I totally agree about looking for medical advice on the web. It's so rare to find any site with the same information as each other. I've gone from tick bites to meningitis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true, especially when it comes to the medical advice. Whatever you do never google symptoms its the best way to go from a cold to dying from a rare disease. I never open emails or click links sent from people I don't know. Doing so is asking for a virus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been known to obsessively search for medical advice through the web. The web is both a wonderful option for knowledge, but people like me can do down the obsessive-compulsive rabbit hole of "What does this *mean*?" For example, just last month I had already accessed my MRI results on my shoulder and looked up the surgical implications. I went into my doctor's appointment ready to schedule a surgery. And my doctor had to talk me back down from that initial option. MRI results can state one issue, but the web cannot *interpret* complex findings regarding medical information. Better to wait for the expert opinions. But with that information so close at hand, it's hard to look away.

    ReplyDelete