Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Places I don't go on the web

I am usually open-minded about visiting any website. I will say that their are sites that I have visited that freaked me out. Over the years though I realized people have there own opinions and do what makes them happy. I may not agree but I have empathy for them.

 Me and my friend Nick like to "Cosplay". Cosplay is wearing costumes to look like a fictional character. It's like Halloween wear kids and parents dress up in costumes. An example is the picture below of a person dressing up as prince Eric from "The Little Mermaid".



While searching the web for a costume he wanted to do a "Crossplay". Crossplay is just a gender bender of cosplay. Men dress as female characters and females vice-versa. Nick came across http://www.maskon.com/. He wanted to buy a mask to a friends birthday party. Unfortunately the first time I saw this site I cringed. A cross dressing man wearing a female mask or body suit. I was disturbed by it. Most people who cross dress put on makeup or put on female clothing. I try to avoid this site as much as possible.

Other places I don't like to go is blogs and review website. The only problem with that is most websites carry this. While there are a few considerate and nice people, other people's comments bully, discriminate, and try to provoke other people. Filled with logical fallacies left and right. The one that see the most is Straw Man. An example:

Prof. Jones: "The university just cut our yearly budget by $10,000." 
Prof. Smith: "What are we going to do?" 
Prof. Brown: "I think we should eliminate one of the teaching assistant positions. That would take care of it." 
Prof. Jones: "We could reduce our scheduled raises instead." 
Prof. Brown: " I can't understand why you want to bleed us dry like that, Jones."



The last thing I avoid on the web is paid surveys or trail items. I have fallen prey to this before I started college. I would sign up for paid surveys sites then it would tell me to subscribe and fill out information. I never got paid much from the survey and after the subscription I would wind up paying more money than earning it. I tried a trail version for a skin cream, powder and hair oil for $3.00; did not realize that there was a monthly fee of $39.95 for each product. I wanted to cry.



Works Cited


"Fallacy: Straw Man." Fallacy: Straw Man. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Nov. 2015.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting images, Steven!
    I wonder if you would like to offer a clarification on the crossplay website? Was it that the man who was cosplaying/crossdressing wasn't wearing makeup that bothered you? That it wasn't a traditional form of crossdressing?
    I'm with you on finding the logical fallacies on the web. I see them all the time, and as a matter of fact, I had to mention to one of my students, who was point out a logical fallacy, that they were actually using another one in its place. The web is full of logical fallacies--mostly purported on YouTube when I watch political season ads.

    ReplyDelete