Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Where do I Dare not Tread?

The internet is a dangerous place full of viruses, propaganda, memes, and poorly lit selfies. There are places you go on the internet and places that, though you've stared at the links, you can't seem to make yourself actually click on them. Some of those places are obvious, such as anything containing NSFW content or the wonderful Pennyjuice.com. The blinding array of colors and cartoon background combine for a headache inducing experience. The design is fitting for the audience, if the audience is a gaggle of preschoolers, not the people running the preschool. Seriously, follow the link for a truly magical (horrible) internet experience!


Then, there are the places on the web that we personally avoid though others may flock to them. I tend avoid Facebook as often as I can. The reason is simple; it stresses me out. Facebook is essentially a place that people I don't talk to go and flaunt how well their lives are going. I have the privilege of reading about people getting engaged, starting relationships (with my long standing crushes), having babies, and just generally being ahead of me in life!

Not to say that I don't have an incredible life, but there's something depressing about sitting at your desk or laying in your bed scrolling through your Facebook feed and seeing everyone's accomplishments.  Of course, there are those few people who boost your ego right back up.


I know a lot of people who use sites to stream videos, though I tend to stick with Netflix. YouTube is super popular, but mainly contains original content due to copyright issues. There are very dubious sites that claim they will let you stream videos for free online, but they are usually illegal or filled to the brim with viruses. If you ever visit a site and it insists you update your flash player, then offers a download, do not use it. Chrome automatically updates flash, and safari alerts you when you actually need to update. I had to replace my hard drive once because of this, so I'm hyper aware of suspicious websites. 

Other than that, there really aren't any places I avoid going. Cult websites? The occult is interesting! Business sites? I'm trying to set up a LLC (limited liability corporation) so I use all the tools I can find. Honestly, I'm a curious person and when I run into a topic that snags my interest, I follow it where ever I can find information.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your post. I would have to say I never heard of this cite and I was going to go see but I'm take your word and stay away. I really just use the internet for information reasons only, not for this foolishness that's being used and done on the internet. I'm also a person that stays away from FB as well. I have a business page but my wife manages it for the most part its to much craziness hat goes on, on this cite for my liking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joy,
    Ok, so I took the bait and went to Pennyjuice. I *still* have no idea what that was, and I'm now cornea-blind from that website.
    I think you make an excellent point about how Facebook is "culivated"--there tends to be two types of users (that I see in my feed). The ones you mention here, the ones who only want to show you their successes, and then there are the others ones who use Facebook as a platform for self-pity parties. I wonder what this says about the crowd in my feed?
    I'm with you in that I'll drop down the rabbit hole (all in search of knowledge, right)? I've found myself on pro-polygamy websites, websites that show how to learn Klingon, video tutorials on astronomy, and everything in between. The web can be a fantastic place if one's careful!

    ReplyDelete