Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Where do I not go on the internet?

To be entirely honest, I am writing this with little to no idea where I do not go on the internet. The easy answer would be to just say its wherever I do not frequent, though that isn't the point of this post. The question seems more of WHY do I not frequent certain parts of the internet. The answer I have as of now is: I am not really sure. For the most part these unattended places are probably ones I have not discovered, and thus I wait in the lobby of the internet, not knowing how to go further.



That being said, one of the websites that I try to avoid using is Facebook. Though with how connected it is, it's hard to avoid the website entirely. I mainly use it to keep updated on certain events and get rid of the notifications on the app symbol. I start to scroll through my news feed, wondering what I am going to find, despite the fact that I always run into the same posts that keep me at bay: incessant drama between two people who can't communicate, self righteous opinions, and those dreaded minion memes where the text has nothing in correlation with the fact that it contains minions.
One of the reasons I tend to  the website is simply because t things I see on Facebook are repost from other websites, whether they be from Imgur or not. Considering myself part of the Imgur community, reposting something without crediting the original poster, especially for popularity's sake, is a huge sin to Imgur.


via GIPHY

When I encounter Facebook more often than not I am surrounded by these reposts, whether it be things from years ago, or a meme that has finally made it's way to facebook long after it's stopped being funny to me. Not just that, but a lot of times I see the multitude of opinion posts where people seem to believe that posting their opinions to Facebook will somehow change someone's mind, or even worse; The uninformed opinion. This often stems from people seeing sensationalized posts and information, then commenting or sharing it as fact without checking the source. This, I know,  because I have been guilty of it before. Now this isn't to be holier than thou or anything like that, it is what I notice and encounter when I go on Facebook, (Says a lot about my friends when I think about it). I have also found that people seem to use Facebook as a platform to broadcast their achievements, opinions, and beliefs, though sometimes not in a positive manner.


When I browse the internet I usually like to see new information and new, original content. Ironically its where I go to escape the myriad of political opinions and social dogma that seems to underlie a lot of our daily lives; everyone has to have an opinion and someone is always offended. But hey, that's just me.





(ps. The guy in in these gifs is a YouTuber by the name of "JonTron". He makes great faces that are perfect for gifs.)

5 comments:

  1. Hey Matthew,
    It's quite interesting, when I was reading your blog I actually had to question myself. I think I avoid Facebook as well. I don't think I do it on purpose, but mostly because of the people that follow me and what not. This was actually an interesting blog. It made me think a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Matthew,
      I must say I do look forward to new content. Everything is so re-hashed and overused. I get sick of it sometimes. Just from my experience, my friends post meme's of the same image. I get so sick and tired I will yell at them, then they send me a troll face. I find ignoring them helps.

      Delete
  3. Hi Matthew,
    Great post here. I especially liked how you showed us all your thought process for determining where you didn't go and why. It makes sense that you want fresh content, not content re-hashed to the sixth degree by your second cousin once removed.
    Julie Q.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I deal with Facebook exactly how you described here. Those incessant minion memes...
    I appreciate your discussion on the uninformed opinion, and I confess is something I had trouble not going off in tangents about in my blogs. It is infuriating to say the least, yet at some point, we all have been that person. It's just that up until recently, we didn't have Facebook when we were that person, and so had the decency to not contribute to the garbage of an ignorant Internet. Perhaps one day self-control will return to Internet behavior.

    ReplyDelete